The Clair Tappaan Winter Trail System
Clair Tappaan Lodge guests as well as the general public can enjoy cross-country skiing, snowshoeing, and sledding on our groomed winter trail system. Trail passes for non-guests are $10 per person, per day.
- Cross-Country Skiing – Nordic skiers have several options in the area, starting right here at Clair Tappaan Lodge. With 14 km of groomed trails starting from our front yard, an onsite rental shop, and free trail access for guests, our trail system offers a variety of challenges for all abilities. To experience the largest XC trail system in North America, try Royal Gorge XC Ski Resort right down the road.
- Skiing & Snowboarding – We’re surrounded by ski resorts! Donner Ski Ranch is right next door and offers beginner and intermediate terrain on 505 skiable acres. For those looking for a bigger, more challenging downhill experience, Sugar Bowl is directly across the street and offers 1,650 skiable acres. Boreal Mountain Resort and Soda Springs Resort are also just a few minutes away.
- Backcountry Skiing – The ski and splitboard touring around Donner Summit is some of the best in the Sierra. Several easy-to-find trailheads access terrain like Castle Peak, Basin Peak, Andesite Peak, Mt. Judah, Donner Peak, Mt. Lincoln, Anderson Peak, and dozens of other “secret zones.”
- Snowshoeing – Ready, set, snowshoe! There are endless areas to explore on Donner Pass. Discover red fir forests, massive boulder fields, and incredible vistas, all beginning right out our back door.
- Sledding & Tubing – Kids and parents agree, sliding down a hillside on snow is awesome! Choose from several slopes on our property or drive down the road to Soda Springs Resort, Boreal Mountain Resort, or Donner Ski Ranch for lift-accessed fun.
- Snow Camping – Donner Pass is home to one of the deepest snowpacks in the Sierra. What better place to build an igloo or dig a snow cave?
- Ice Climbing – When the temperatures get below freezing in the winter, ice forms on many of the surrounding peaks, making for perfect ice climbing pitches.
- Snow Biking – Jump on a fat bike and try out one of the most popular new winter toys. Available for rent at Royal Gorge XC Ski Resort.
- Snow Kiting – Skiers and snowboarders alike can harness the power of wind and fly across Van Norden Meadow. Available for rent at Royal Gorge XC Ski Resort.